Propane safety tips
What is a propane safety check?
Tri Gas drivers and technicians have been specially trained to perform an industry-standard propane safety check. Even though propane has an excellent safety record, you should know what to do if you suspect there may be a propane leak. Here are some propane safety tips:
- If you smell gas, immediately EXTINGUISH all smoking materials or other open flames. Do not operate lights, appliances telephones or cell phones.
- You and anyone else nearby should LEAVE THE AREA immediately
- SHUT OFF THE GAS. Turn off the main supple valve on your propane tank if you think it is safe to do so. To close the valve, turn it to the right (clockwise).
- REPORT THE LEAK from a safe location right away. If for some reason you cannot reach Tri Gas, call 911 or the fire department.
- DO NOT RETURN until Tri Gas or an emergency responder tells you it is safe to do so.
- GET YOUR SYSTEM CHECKED by a certified technician before you attempt to use any of your propane appliances.
Please contact us today if you have questions about propane safety.